The ghetto in Łódź was the second largest closed quarter established by the German occupying forces in the territory of Poland. Over 200,000 people were isolated there, including Jews from Łódź and neighbouring towns as well as a group of people deported from the Third Reich and the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia.
The Ghetto operated from 1940 to 1944. During this period most ghetto prisoners died of hunger and epidemics or were murdered as a result of the German extermination policy. Only about 5,000-7,000 people survived until the end of the war.